Visit La Chapelle Faucher
La Chapelle Faucher is 8 km east of Brantome.
La Chapelle Faucher is a pleasant village whose quiet appearance belies a bloody past. In the 14th century the whole town was burnt to the ground during the One Hundred Years War. A century later when the town had been restored, l'admiral Coligny rounded up 260 cathars (including women and children) and killed them one by one. A massacre that took place over 7 hours.
The castle which was built in the 13th century was damaged by a fire in 1916 but some of it has been restored and can be hired for events. Unfortunately it cannot be visited otherwise.
Also in the village is a 12th century romanesque church and a few houses.
Map of La Chapelle Faucher & places to visit nearbyChateau de Puyguilhem 5km
Les Jardins Tranquille 8km
Grotte de Villars 8km
Saint Pardoux la Riviere 14km
Chateau de Bourdeilles 14km
Chancelade Abbey 20km
Chateau de Jumilhac 28km
Saint Astier 31km
Saint Germain du Salembre 35km
This page in French: La Chapelle Faucher (version Francais)